{ Scaring babies and little old ladies with open headers since 1964 }
Welcome to the Scroungers Car Club web site.
It cost nothing to register Sign up and speak up!

Sorry for the wall. This keeps our web site clean of SPAM and other unwanted parties so the true gear heads can enjoy him/her self.
You must register to see most of this forum. Register or if you have already registered just log in to see what's going on.

Small block ford aggravation

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Small block ford aggravation

Post by dieseldr on July 14th 2014, 3:13 am

Been putting together a 67 mustang for a guy here, troubles with the 289. Found a 5.0, but not complete, so decided to use it and fit the carb and original accessories to it. Finding out crossing three decades is easier said than done. Finally got 'er figgered out, getting the original 3 bolt crank pulley bored out to fit the 5.0 balancer, and the 4 bolt pattern drilled in it. And once I drill out the P/S pump, brackets, and A/C bracket for 7/16 bolts, I will have it all hanging off the front of the engine and ready for belts. This should get us back on track to getting the underhood stuff done up. It ain't the mistakes you make, it's how you cover them up.
dieseldr
Hot Rod Builder

Number of posts : 603
Registration date : 2011-03-20

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Small block ford aggravation

Post by Nanook on July 14th 2014, 3:12 pm

Yeah, that sounds like lots of 'grrrrr and snarl' for sure.  Shocked  It ought to be all somewhat downhill from here though. I think you got the big stuff done and mapped out the changes needed. That is always cause for celebration on a project! cheers 

Later,

Lee

P.S. Is his 'stang a fastback or notchback? Manual or auto?
Nanook
Scrounger

Number of posts : 1088
Registration date : 2010-06-28

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Reb Stew on July 14th 2014, 4:23 pm

dieseldr wrote:  It ain't the mistakes you make, it's how you cover them up.
 Very Happy 

Reb Stew
National President

Number of posts : 7905
Registration date : 2012-04-08

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by dieseldr on July 16th 2014, 2:01 am

It's a 67 coupe (as we call them up here for the non fastback style). Was a FL car originally, has A/C, trying to keep that alive. Was a 289/C-4 car, just tossing in a late model 5.0, cuz it's what we can find. The 289 had water damage in 2 cylinders, I had a complete 5.0 here in my stash, but it somehow got water damage in one hole. Found this 5.0 without intake, stuck an iron 2 barrel manifold from a 67 Fairlane on it, with a 350 holley. Had to rob the balancer from my 5.0 to get it together. Will probably stick iron manifolds on it with single exhaust, since his wife will be driving it, and it will eventually be handed down to his daughter when she turns 16.... so he says. It will be painted a bright Tangerine from a 78 Mustang II color guide. He wants some kinda satin black accents on it. He is in love with my Mach I's, and really likes that satin black treatment. Not sure what type of accent it will be, either down the sides, or over the top, or... who knows what. That decision is a long way off yet. But his daughter says it has to be orange.... she is 4 years old right now, so you know who runs that household!

He was apprehensive about suggesting what color to paint it, he thought I would think he had lost his mind by wanting it orange. I told him, it was his car to do whatever with he wanted. I was just the method for seeing his project through, whatever he wants is OK- it's his car. It needed floor pans, for a FL car, it must have been near the shore, since the floors were rotten (but not the sub structure) and there were some thin spots around the windshield opening. The floors are in, the roof rot is all done up, just lack some bubbling and blistering in a couple other spots and the body should be ready to finish out and prep. All new interior, all new brakes, and all the suspension has been rebuilt to safe standards. It is his first old car, he loves them, but has no savvy or experience either in caring for/maintaining one, or repairing anything on one. I hope he doesn't get soured through the whole experience before we get done. It takes a hell of a constitution to withstand building an old car without seeing it done in stages as she goes. Progress photos help keep that in check. Hopefully by summers end I can have it rolling, in primer, and ready for interior, so I can bring my Comet in and get ready for the gasser buildup on that.
dieseldr
Hot Rod Builder

Number of posts : 603
Registration date : 2011-03-20

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top