{ Scaring babies and little old ladies with open headers since 1964 }
Welcome to the Scroungers Car Club web site.
It cost nothing to register Sign up and speak up!

Sorry for the wall. This keeps our web site clean of SPAM and other unwanted parties so the true gear heads can enjoy him/her self.
You must register to see most of this forum. Register or if you have already registered just log in to see what's going on.

Are you a purist?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Are you a purist?

Post by Nanook on July 1st 2014, 4:52 pm

When it comes to muscle cars we all tend to stay 'brand on brand' i.e. no 350s in a Mustang or 302s in a Camaro. That kind of thing. But what about gassers? Rods? Do you still feel the same way? Speaking for myself I like to stay 'brand on brand' regardless of vehicle type. Gassers I can see it and if done right I'm on board (I like what Finnigan on Roadkill did with stuffing a 426 HEMI into his '55 gasser). Back in the day everything seemed to show up under the hood of a bunch of gassers. But everything else I just think it's cool to see FoMoCo power in a Deuce coupe or Mopar power in a '41 Plymouth rod.  Cool 

So, what are your thoughts/opinions? No right or wrong here...I'm just curious and trying to start some dialogue on the forum. It's too easy to do this on FB and I'd rather get away from that a bit and give the board some love. cheers 

Later,

Lee
Nanook
Scrounger

Number of posts : 1088
Registration date : 2010-06-28

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Are you a purist?

Post by 911TAZZ on July 1st 2014, 5:30 pm

Wow,  never really gave it much thought. In some ways I am a purest at least when it comes to my beloved Chevrolets if it's a Chevy it better have Chevy guts in it. And I'm also pretty steadfast when it comes to 50s, 60s, and 70s autos. Though I trend to waver when a Chevy is dropped into a car from the 50s. But earlier models or late models it doesn't matter to me. Made Ford tough with Chevy stuff. No problem. Or drop a hemi in it. I can live with that. An olds rocket in a roadster. If it sounds nice and looks clean hey more power to you.
911TAZZ
Scrounger

Number of posts : 715
Registration date : 2011-11-12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Reb Stew on July 1st 2014, 7:10 pm

I'd drop in anything in to whatever as long as I thought it was cool. I had a 87 full size Ford truck with a 350 Olds Rocket in it at one time and a 2 seater Triumph with a 350 Chevy in it. I have had many Pontiac, Olds and Chevy engines in my Firebird I have had since I was 16.

Reb Stew
National President

Number of posts : 7905
Registration date : 2012-04-08

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Brownie on July 2nd 2014, 12:29 pm

As long as it is getting another old car on the road......It really don't matter what powers it down the road. AS long as it is SAFE!! That to me is the only factor. Given enough time a true car guy can make any motor cool!
Brownie
Scrounger

Number of posts : 941
Registration date : 2011-11-30

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by TAHOE on July 2nd 2014, 3:35 pm

Nanook wrote: or 302s in a Camaro.  

Hey Mr. F-body, a few camaros had 302's,...you've been sniffing too many Corvette fumes lol! geek 

If it's a resto car, then keep the same drivetrain or at least same brand. Numbers matching, then keep it numbers matching. If it's a modded custom hot rod, then to each his own.

Oh by the way Lee..... the boy has "diesel swap" floating around in his head in the Bronco.  affraid

TAHOE
Chief mechanic

Number of posts : 335
Registration date : 2013-03-20

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nanook on July 2nd 2014, 3:43 pm

TAHOE wrote:

Hey Mr. F-body, a few camaros had 302's,...you've been sniffing too many Corvette fumes lol! geek 

If it's a resto car, then keep the same drivetrain or at least same brand. Numbers matching, then keep it numbers matching. If it's a modded custom hot rod, then to each his own.

Oh by the way Lee..... the boy has "diesel swap" floating around in his head in the Bronco.  affraid

Oh you know what 302 I am referring to, buddy! Laughing  Windsor for Ford...Tonawanda for Chevy.  Wink 

As for the Bronco Drew can do with it what he wishes...you know my opinion on diesels and I won't go into it here. Personally I would rather see him keep it as-is...and that light-duty Mazda 5-speed would not hold up at all with any kind of high torque motor. Just my two cents. You guys still enjoying the rig? It was a great truck for us.

later,

Lee
Nanook
Scrounger

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Marty042 on July 3rd 2014, 4:09 am

I'm pretty open to anything. Not a big Ford fan in general except the trucks and the pre 1970.
With my Cutlass. Olds makes and Chevy shakes it....Lol!
Marty042
Scrounger

Number of posts : 742
Registration date : 2010-03-29

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by EdgeGT on July 3rd 2014, 12:21 pm

I'm like Steve. If i needed a heart transplant, I wouldn't care where it came from as long as it kept me alive! Kinda like that Ford Ranger we saw in Milford's cruise in that defiantly sounded like it had a small block chevy in it. Bet that thing scoots!
EdgeGT
Scrounger

Number of posts : 198
Registration date : 2013-03-23

View user profile http://www.facebook.com/david.hillii.16

Back to top Go down

Post by Chris55 on July 3rd 2014, 12:51 pm

I'll put any motor in my Chevy as long as it's a Chevy and any motor in my ford as long as it's a Chevy.
Chris55
FL Chapter President

Number of posts : 1360
Registration date : 2010-04-16

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by TAHOE on July 3rd 2014, 2:31 pm

Nanook wrote:
TAHOE wrote:

Oh you know what 302 I am referring to, buddy! Laughing   Windsor for Ford...Tonawanda for Chevy.  Wink 

As for the Bronco Drew can do with it what he wishes...you know my opinion on diesels and I won't go into it here.  Personally I would rather see him keep it as-is...and that light-duty Mazda 5-speed would not hold up at all with any kind of high torque motor.  Just my two cents.  You guys still enjoying the rig?  It was a great truck for us.  

later,

Lee

Well if it got a diesel swap, it would have to get a new tranny too  cheers 

He is still learning to drive it, I have been STUCK with it for the last 3 weeks so he can have the Bird to drive. I wear a paper bag with eye holes though so no one sees me driving a Ford.  lol! 
He tries to learn the stick for about 15 mins, get over frustrated, parks it. He got clutch so hot last weekend it was smoking. I tried to tell him how to do it, but he is struggling to get the feel. Funny he can ride dirt bikes and shift them fine.  Question 
I think it needs plugs, missing under any load.

TAHOE
Chief mechanic

Number of posts : 335
Registration date : 2013-03-20

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nanook on July 3rd 2014, 3:02 pm

Plugs? Hmmmm, perhaps. The wires and such ought to be fine though for sure. I changed all of it back in early '08 in Alaska. And it only saw winter use up there and down here. Yeah, I'd start with the plugs first and see. That really should be the only thing causing any kind of miss. The O2 is new as well from 2010 IIRC.

He will get the hang of it. At least it's got a good newer clutch in it to handle the 'learning curve'. Laughing  I am glad that he does like it though and is learning. As for the 'bag over the head' yeah I ran into that too but really it (along with my Ranger) have been good rigs. I cannot complain. I'll just never be a Ford guy. Too much GM (and specifically Pontiac) in my blood. Twisted Evil 

Later,

Lee

Nanook
Scrounger

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Reb Stew on July 3rd 2014, 7:04 pm

Chris55 wrote:I'll put any motor in my Chevy as long as it's a Chevy and any motor in my ford as long as it's a Chevy.
 Laughing 

Reb Stew
National President

Number of posts : 7905
Registration date : 2012-04-08

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nanook on July 3rd 2014, 7:17 pm

I will admit that my view of later 1970s until mid 1980s GM stuff is a bit skewed as that is when they took the 'corporate' attitude towards engines and what divisions built what motors. For instance 2nd Gen Firebirds saw Olds, Pontiac and Chevy V8s and Buick V6s so I give 'em a free pass if you will.  Wink  But cross-breeding has never been my thing...it's amazing to see a Buick 231 V6 in a Fox body Mustang (and Lord can they fly!) but I would balk at that kind of swap. It just goes against the grain I guess LOL!

Been a good chat...thanks to everyone chiming in.  cheers 

Later,

Lee
Nanook
Scrounger

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe Monstermaker on November 28th 2014, 8:59 pm

I've got one of the late '70s Trans Ams that came with an Olds. I've got an '83 Chevy crewcab dually that I put an Olds 455 into, then a Caddy 500.
It seems everyone is OK with putting a Chevy engine into anything (myself included!) but I'm so tired of 350s in everything that I love it when someone runs a Nailhead, or Caddy, or anything else at all!
My Chevy has a goddamm 350 though. If I had more $ to throw at it, I'd have a 348 or 409 in it, or something really cool like a '57 Olds J2 in it.
And while I'd love to put a modern LS motor in the truck, I would NOT put one in the '55!
Joe Monstermaker
new kid on the block

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2014-11-28

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top