{ Scaring babies and little old ladies with open headers since 1964 }
Welcome to the Scroungers Car Club web site.
It cost nothing to register Sign up and speak up!

Sorry for the wall. This keeps our web site clean of SPAM and other unwanted parties so the true gear heads can enjoy him/her self.
You must register to see most of this forum. Register or if you have already registered just log in to see what's going on.

Spare Time will be gone!

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Spare Time will be gone!

Post by Reb Stew on December 27th 2013, 3:56 pm

We are going to loose some of our history from our youth in Northern Kentucky. Anyone local to me wants to hit Spare Time you should do so now. From what I hear as of 1-1-2014 they are closing the doors forever.

Reb Stew
National President

Number of posts : 7905
Registration date : 2012-04-08

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Spare Time will be gone!

Post by Roller Coaster on December 28th 2013, 4:12 pm

I have always wanted to cruise up there in some old iron, eat breakfast, and do a photo shoot.
Roller Coaster
Hot Rod Builder

Number of posts : 971
Registration date : 2009-01-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Reb Stew on December 28th 2013, 4:30 pm

They don't get much business so they are not open all the time. I don't really think the owners care to push it but if they would have tried to do a nightly hot rod dinner I think they would have been packed. If it was me I'd set up to open at 5:30. After it's dark turned on the neons and only served people who drove in a pre 72 car. Next night could be muscle car night. The next night could be a truck night. Next night could be for bikes and so on. I think they opened in the mornings just to have something to do but who knows. It's just a shame to see it go.

Reb Stew
National President

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by pepboys speedshop on December 28th 2013, 4:33 pm

maybe we should all just show up there

pepboys speedshop
BANNED

Number of posts : 204
Registration date : 2013-12-19

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nanook on December 28th 2013, 5:28 pm

I'd go but tomorrow is my best bet and I would net get there before they close. pale

Here's some info:

http://cincinnati.metromix.com/restaurants/chili/spare-time-grill-alexandria/606301/content

Later,

Lee
Nanook
Scrounger

Number of posts : 1088
Registration date : 2010-06-28

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by dieseldr on December 29th 2013, 1:35 am

We have had a similar problem keeping mom-and-pop diners open in NYS. Don't know what the issues are here. One problem locally here is that everyone wants to cater to the city-dwellers since the rest of the village has jumped onto the antique shop bandwagon. As a result we have three places where we can get cranberry salad and quiche, but not a burger or sausage to be had. Most of the people who have moved here over the last 20 years are pretty discouraged when they find out the nearest mall is an hour and ten away, and the closest wal-mart is 40 minutes away.

I didn't ask them to come, they keep trying to make this place like where they came from- send 'em back where they came from.
dieseldr
Hot Rod Builder

Number of posts : 603
Registration date : 2011-03-20

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Reb Stew on December 29th 2013, 1:38 am

Regulars like Carol Schneider said they had been eating at the restaurant for more than 40 years. Every Saturday, Schneider got the same goetta and egg breakfast; on Tuesdays, it was the daily special.

Ive been coming in here for 46 years and its always been a lot of fun. You can talk to people and its surely going to be missed, Schneider said.

Other regulars said the Spare Time Grill was more than a restaurant, it was like a second home.

My first job was at the garage next door. We'd walk over for lunch or dinner, longtime customer Deron Tursany said.

Shirley Witte owns the restaurant with her husband.

I've been doing this for 40 years now. I started when I was a little girl, Witte said. That's my passion -- cooking -- and all these wonderful customers. We know them on a name-to-name basis, all of them.

The Wittes said they were ready for some much-needed time to relax and enjoy time with their family.

The Spare Time Grill served as the setting for several movie scenes throughout its 55 years.

Read more: http://www.wlwt.com/news/local-news/news-northern-kentucky/nky-restaurant-closes-after-more-than-50-years-in-business/-/13608792/23681138/-/br0dkmz/-/index.html#ixzz2oostfvrW

Reb Stew
National President

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by hotrodaaron77 on December 29th 2013, 1:53 am

It sure would be nice to have them neons in ur garage.
hotrodaaron77
Scrounger

Number of posts : 473
Registration date : 2010-11-11

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Butch Thompson on December 29th 2013, 2:27 am

bosleys wife worked their too i saw it on a documintary when they did the story bout his murder
Butch Thompson
National Sergeant at Arms

Number of posts : 333
Registration date : 2010-03-19

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Reb Stew on December 29th 2013, 4:03 am

I never liked Bosley. Crook! Yea I feel comfortable saying that about a dead guy.

Reb Stew
National President

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Roller Coaster on December 29th 2013, 4:13 am

dieseldr wrote:Most of the people ... are pretty discouraged when they find out the nearest mall is an hour and ten away, and the closest wal-mart is 40 minutes away.

This is the reason why Janet and I are no longer permitted to host the family Thanksgiving. I throughly enjoy it, but most people don't.
Roller Coaster
Hot Rod Builder

Number of posts : 971
Registration date : 2009-01-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Marty042 on December 29th 2013, 5:28 am

I heard on the news. They closed down today.
Marty042
Scrounger

Number of posts : 741
Registration date : 2010-03-29

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by dieseldr on December 29th 2013, 1:57 pm

Roller Coaster wrote:
dieseldr wrote:Most of the people ... are pretty discouraged when they find out the nearest mall is an hour and ten away, and the closest wal-mart is 40 minutes away.

This is the reason why Janet and I are no longer permitted to host the family Thanksgiving. I throughly enjoy it, but most people don't.

It's not that I don't like people coming into the area, don't get me wrong on that... but what really puts my drawers in a twist is when they come here, go on about how much they like it, then try to make it just like it was where they came from. There's a reason I live here- not to have someone come make it something it isn't. If it doesn't suit you, find someplace else.

2 things happened here that changed the whole demographic- one, the school "merged" with a neighboring district... it was more of an absorption... but for the sake of the kids, against my better judgement, they got what they wanted so in the immortal words of Walter Cronkite..." that's the way it is". I got over it. Secondly, a private landfill was sited here. That whole situation divided the whole town right down the middle. It got ugly, neighbor vs neighbor, years of meetings.... some people never got over it, and in the end, the taxes did go down (a fraction of the projection), the town is lousy with highway equipment, and firetrucks, and corrupt people who want to step in and run the politics of the area so they can get a "feel" what it is to manage money.

I think they need to spend some of it on all the townspeople- something on the order of a municipal building, or community center, whatever you want to call it. Someplace to have family reunions, a venue for weddings/receptions/including a park so maybe there could be a car show/cruise in twice a month.... you get the picture. Heck, it might even make them some money, to charge a fee for weddings, etc- not a lot, make it attractive to hold an event, but "make" enough money to pay a staff to keep it up, clean it, cover maintenance, snow removal. Some change is imminent, but if you are dealt lemons, make lemonade.
dieseldr
Hot Rod Builder

Number of posts : 603
Registration date : 2011-03-20

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by extenzegrl on December 29th 2013, 7:20 pm

We should do photo shoot there.... any takers.. Iwill take pics..
extenzegrl
National Vice President

Number of posts : 623
Registration date : 2010-09-10

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Reb Stew on December 29th 2013, 7:23 pm

Just heard the reason the owner was giving it up was so her son could have the lot to put a used car lot on it. Mad

I don't have anything worth shooting but I'll come and takes some pictures.

Reb Stew
National President

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by pepboys speedshop on December 30th 2013, 3:18 pm

I would love to bring a car for some photos

pepboys speedshop
BANNED

Number of posts : 204