{ Scaring babies and little old ladies with open headers since 1964 }
Welcome to the Scroungers Car Club web site.
It cost nothing to register Sign up and speak up!

Sorry for the wall. This keeps our web site clean of SPAM and other unwanted parties so the true gear heads can enjoy him/her self.
You must register to see most of this forum. Register or if you have already registered just log in to see what's going on.

Starting over

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Starting over

Post by Marty042 on November 9th 2013, 1:23 pm

Found out Monday that I will be losing my job after 24 years with the company January 7th. Hate to have to start over again. I have been a Chef with this company for a long time a some idiot general manager comes in and start's screwing things up and guess who get to be the fall guy. You guessed it me... Have the opportunity to go to museum center. Not sure what I'm gonna do yet still in shock. I have never been without a job since I was 13 going on 50 now. I actually would like to take some time off but in this day and age who can afford it.
avatar
Marty042
Scrounger

Number of posts : 742
Registration date : 2010-03-29
Age : 53
Location : Elsmere Ky

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Starting over

Post by Brownie on November 9th 2013, 2:20 pm

Marty so sorry about the job. It seems that nobody takes responsibility for there actions these days. They just want to blame somebody else.
I hope you find a better job and never look back!
avatar
Brownie
Scrounger

Number of posts : 941
Registration date : 2011-11-30
Age : 46
Location : Port Charlotte Florida

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Starting over

Post by Lady rebel on November 9th 2013, 2:21 pm

Sorry to hear that Marty. Change is never easy that is for sure. After you leave things may fall apart for them they are losing a great employee. If the managers had to do the jobs we do. They would see it's not as easy as they think. Good luck hopefully they will offer you a going away package and you can take some time off.
avatar
Lady rebel
Scroungers Treasurer/Secretary

Number of posts : 2215
Registration date : 2007-10-09
Location : Newport Ky

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Starting over

Post by 911TAZZ on November 9th 2013, 2:30 pm

Sorry to hear that Marty. prayers sent up my friend. Like Amy said, maybe they will offer a severance package that will allow you to take some time off before going back to work somewhere else . Their loss any way you look at it.
avatar
911TAZZ
Scrounger

Number of posts : 715
Registration date : 2011-11-12
Age : 48
Location : cincinnati

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Starting over

Post by Arieldouglas on November 9th 2013, 2:34 pm

I hope it works out Marty. I had been at my last job almost 26 years. It was traumatic at the time but leaving there was the best thing that could have happened to me.
I pray it is the same for you.
avatar
Arieldouglas
TN Chapter President

Number of posts : 1915
Registration date : 2011-07-03
Age : 58
Location : Watertown, TN

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Starting over

Post by Marty042 on November 9th 2013, 2:53 pm

Thanks guys. They are offering me one weeks pay for ever year with the company plus buy out my vacation time. They won't pay my sick time cause I have 50 days. That's how often I called in! If I go to Union Terminal it would be same company but not sure I want to stay with the company if that's how they treat valuable employees. Thinking about doing the unemployment thing for a while not sure. What really sucks is I will be losing all of my 2 hundred thousand in life insurance I had in place for my family. I know I'm good at what I do and will find something somewhere but I'm mostly afraid of my age hurting me.


Last edited by Marty042 on November 9th 2013, 7:06 pm; edited 2 times in total
avatar
Marty042
Scrounger

Number of posts : 742
Registration date : 2010-03-29
Age : 53
Location : Elsmere Ky

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Starting over

Post by Reb Stew on November 9th 2013, 3:14 pm

What a shame. Marty, brother this just makes me sick. So sorry. It's also such a bad time of the year for this to happen. I hope you find something you like out there. Keep your head up and try not to worry too much. Prayer does wonders. Maybe this will be for the better in the end and you may find something out there that you like more.

_________________
Get off the computer and get to work on your car

avatar
Reb Stew
National President

Number of posts : 7905
Registration date : 2012-04-08
Age : 97
Location : Looking in your window

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Starting over

Post by Lady rebel on November 9th 2013, 8:42 pm

Maybe you can start using some of those 50 days if you get paid for it.
avatar
Lady rebel
Scroungers Treasurer/Secretary

Number of posts : 2215
Registration date : 2007-10-09
Location : Newport Ky

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Starting over

Post by Marty042 on December 5th 2013, 12:27 pm

Update: Found out this past Monday that my replacement was coming in for my job that has be eliminated next Monday. So this Friday is my last day. Bad enough I'm getting the shaft,but they just pushed it in even further by bumping up the time by a month. Merry Christmas right! That's ok going to ride out the 20 severance package till may and take some time off to make some quality time with my friends and family.

avatar
Marty042
Scrounger

Number of posts : 742
Registration date : 2010-03-29
Age : 53
Location : Elsmere Ky

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Starting over

Post by Chris55 on December 5th 2013, 12:51 pm

Sorry to here that Marty, hope every thing works out. You should come down here, Disney and all the hotels are always looking for Chefs. It's gona be in the high 70s today, and we have car shows year round.
avatar
Chris55
FL Chapter President

Number of posts : 1360
Registration date : 2010-04-16
Age : 51
Location : Geneva, Florida

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Starting over

Post by Reb Stew on December 5th 2013, 5:06 pm

Marty042 wrote:Update: Found out this past Monday that my replacement was coming in for my job that has be eliminated next Monday. So this Friday is my last day. Bad enough I'm getting the shaft,but they just pushed it in even further by bumping up the time by a month. Merry Christmas right! That's ok going to ride out the 20 severance package till may and take some time off to make some quality time with my friends and family.

This whole thing stinks Marty. I feel this may be a good thing for you though if you play your cards right. I think you have the right idea. Spend some time for yourself, family and friends to get that back and then figure out what direction to take. I think there is a higher power that will get you some place you need to be.

_________________
Get off the computer and get to work on your car

avatar
Reb Stew
National President

Number of posts : 7905
Registration date : 2012-04-08
Age : 97
Location : Looking in your window

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Starting over

Post by Brownie on December 5th 2013, 7:33 pm

Chris has a good point Marty. Lots of hungry people on vacation down here!
avatar
Brownie
Scrounger

Number of posts : 941
Registration date : 2011-11-30
Age : 46
Location : Port Charlotte Florida

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Starting over

Post by Marty042 on December 5th 2013, 7:46 pm

Thank's guy. I live in Florida for awhile.. Went to Clearwater High school for a couple years. Loved it down there. Don't think I would be able to get the wife down there though. lol!
avatar
Marty042
Scrounger

Number of posts : 742
Registration date : 2010-03-29
Age : 53
Location : Elsmere Ky

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Starting over

Post by SMOKNZ on December 6th 2013, 4:11 am

I have a question for you Marty. You stated above that you have the opportunity to go to Union Terminal and it is owned by the same Company that you are being outsourced on. If I were you, I would contact someone in Human Resources before you leave and ask them if you take the position in Union Terminal, if your Years from your current Company will be added onto this new position, being it is the same Company.

Also, you should be able to keep your current Life Insurance Policy that you're concerned with. along with your 50 days of sick pay. It is the same Company and you would be able to retire out in either 1 year or 4.

As far as them not giving you enough notice to leave there employment as they previously stated, you need to get an attorney and have your attorney to get your pay for the month that is currently due you, if you in fact plan to leave altogether and not return to Union Terminal.

Although it may be a Career change for you, it may be a blessing in disguise, like most of the gang stated above. We all are behind you and are here for moral support. Whatever you plan to do about your current situation, I'm sure that you and your wife will come up with a plan. All great minds think alike and you have God's Prayers standing behind you....
avatar
SMOKNZ
Scrounger

Number of posts : 664
Registration date : 2010-04-19
Location : Florence, Ky

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Starting over

Post by Nanook on December 6th 2013, 6:37 am

Very sorry to hear of this, Marty. No question you deserve far better treatment than what you have gotten.

Later,

Lee
avatar
Nanook
Scrounger

Number of posts : 1088
Registration date : 2010-06-28
Age : 45
Location : Walton, KY

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Starting over

Post by Marty042 on December 6th 2013, 7:38 am

SMOKNZ wrote:I have a question for you Marty. You stated above that you have the opportunity to go to Union Terminal and it is owned by the same Company that you are being outsourced on. If  I were you, I would contact someone in Human Resources before you leave and ask them if you take the position in Union Terminal, if your Years from your current Company will be added onto this new position, being it is the same Company.

Also, you should be able to keep your current Life Insurance Policy that you're concerned with. along with your 50 days of sick pay. It is the same Company and you would be able to retire out in either 1 year or 4.

As far as them not giving you enough notice to leave there employment as they previously stated, you need to get an attorney and have your attorney to get your pay for the month that is currently due you, if you in fact plan to leave altogether and not return to Union Terminal.

Although it may be a Career change for you, it may be a blessing in disguise, like most of the gang stated above. We all are behind you and are here for moral support. Whatever you plan to do about your current situation, I'm sure that you and your wife will come up with a plan. All great minds think alike and you have God's Prayers standing behind you....
I went down to union terminal and interviewed. They offered me 5 dollars less on the hour and being a catering kitchen I would have to work 30 hours a week more. I'm almost 50 can't do the 70-80 weeks any more. Need a 9-5 no weekends to help with my mother in who had a stroke. It work in my favor being let go early. Because now I get 6 weeks vacation pay and not lose it because being let go after the new year. Plus I get a 20 week severance pkg. Thanks everyone's for support. Think I'm just going to hibernate for the winter.
avatar
Marty042
Scrounger

Number of posts : 742
Registration date : 2010-03-29
Age : 53
Location : Elsmere Ky

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Starting over

Post by TAHOE on December 6th 2013, 3:04 pm

Sucks dude, but there can always be positives.
I told my wife if I ever got laid off, you can bet I would take an extended vacation on them! We used to get week paid severence per 1 yr of service and vacation paid out, but now max of 13 weeks and we have to "earn" our vacation every paycheck instead of getting it all at first of the year, so they only have to pay out what you've earned up to that point....scoundrels they are.

You said the replacement is coming in for your job that was eliminated? Maybe it was just your wording, but that doesn't make sense someone is comnig in to an eliminated job.

My wife had that happen, she was to come back from maternaty leave, they told her she was not needed any longer, yet a cute little blonde was doing her job the week she was supposed to come back. Being a lawyer he knew he fell under the 50 employees or less and didn't have to abide by the big boy rules. She could've sued for discrimmination, but she came out with a better job in the end...and he had to give his paperwork to her when he cme in the court after that, egg on his face!

TAHOE
Chief mechanic

Number of posts : 335
Registration date : 2013-03-20

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Starting over

Post by Marty042 on December 6th 2013, 3:33 pm

TAHOE wrote:Sucks dude, but there can always be positives.
I told my wife if I ever got laid off, you can bet I would take an extended vacation on them! We used to get week paid severence per 1 yr of service and vacation paid out, but now max of 13 weeks and we have to "earn" our vacation every paycheck instead of getting it all at first of the year, so they only have to pay out what you've earned up to that point....scoundrels they are.

You said the replacement is coming in for your job that was eliminated?  Maybe it was just your wording, but that doesn't make sense someone is comnig in to an eliminated job.

My wife had that happen, she was to come back from maternaty leave, they told her she was not needed any longer, yet a cute little blonde was doing her job the week she was supposed to come back. Being a lawyer he knew he fell under the 50 employees or less and didn't have to abide by the big boy rules. She could've sued for discrimmination, but she came out with a better job in the end...and he had to give his paperwork to her when he cme in the court after that, egg on his face!


They changed the job discription. Brought someone at a lower pay grade. Just sucks that a company can play system to screw people over.
avatar
Marty042
Scrounger

Number of posts : 742
Registration date : 2010-03-29
Age : 53
Location : Elsmere Ky

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Starting over

Post by Marty042 on August 14th 2014, 4:22 am

Update: I took a job as one of the Chefs at NKU. Brand new kitchen and staff. We will be serving about a thousand people a day from 7 am till 11 pm. The kitchen is still under construction and will be ready by Saturday. I have to go in Friday, Saturday and Sunday from 8am to 8pm. Nothing like being off for 9 months and jump straight back in the fire. I still should be off on the weekends when it all calms down and staff are trained.
I really enjoyed being off for a bit of time and learned a lot about myself and got closer to my kids. I got some things done around the house  I've been wanting to do for a long time. My wife is not going to like her domestic engineer not having things ready for her when she gets home from work. Lol!
avatar
Marty042
Scrounger

Number of posts : 742
Registration date : 2010-03-29
Age : 53
Location : Elsmere Ky

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Starting over

Post by TAHOE on August 14th 2014, 4:11 pm

Congrats on the new job.
I used to work 12 hour shift work, my wife loved me being off during the week, I had dinners ready, house picked up, etc.
Now us both working banker hours I'm hungry and the house its a wreck haha

TAHOE
Chief mechanic

Number of posts : 335
Registration date : 2013-03-20

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Starting over

Post by Chris55 on August 14th 2014, 6:16 pm

Congratulation on the new job, sounds awesome.
avatar
Chris55
FL Chapter President

Number of posts : 1360
Registration date : 2010-04-16
Age : 51
Location : Geneva, Florida

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Starting over

Post by Reb Stew on August 15th 2014, 6:10 am

cheers 

_________________
Get off the computer and get to work on your car

avatar
Reb Stew
National President

Number of posts : 7905
Registration date : 2012-04-08
Age : 97
Location : Looking in your window

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Starting over

Post by Truxter Fordly on August 16th 2014, 4:36 am

Congratulations Marty.... glad you are back to work.... sounds like an interesting position....
avatar
Truxter Fordly
OH Chapter President

Number of posts : 424
Registration date : 2009-10-21
Age : 58
Location : Loveland, OH

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Starting over

Post by Nanook on August 17th 2014, 7:24 am

That is terrific news! cheers 

Later,

Lee
avatar
Nanook
Scrounger

Number of posts : 1088
Registration date : 2010-06-28
Age : 45
Location : Walton, KY

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Starting over

Post by 911TAZZ on August 17th 2014, 3:51 pm

Congratulations on the new job Marty.
avatar
911TAZZ
Scrounger

Number of posts : 715
Registration date : 2011-11-12
Age : 48
Location : cincinnati

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Starting over

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum