{ Scaring babies and little old ladies with open headers since 1964 }
Welcome to the Scroungers Car Club web site.
It cost nothing to register Sign up and speak up!

Sorry for the wall. This keeps our web site clean of SPAM and other unwanted parties so the true gear heads can enjoy him/her self.
You must register to see most of this forum. Register or if you have already registered just log in to see what's going on.

performance ignition

View previous topic View next topic Go down

performance ignition

Post by dieseldr on November 2nd 2013, 3:19 am

All right everyone, I have the tripower for my 428CJ, and I'm curious what you all run for performance ignition on something that you want to make sure "the fire don't go out". I know the GM guys will likely be using the HEI, and for good reason... it's good stuff. To that end, I'm jealous.... but for lack of an HEI, what are the opinions about what is reliable, powerful, and simple. I have a dual point Mallory to start, I could throw most any coil at it, I guess, but just looking for ideas of what people use these days for hopped up spark. I've lived in the diesel world too long, been away from building hot rod gassers too long, and looking for suggestions. Thanks everyone.
dieseldr
Hot Rod Builder

Number of posts : 603
Registration date : 2011-03-20

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: performance ignition

Post by Arieldouglas on November 2nd 2013, 4:03 am

Until you get to do some really serious stuff, it's still hard to beat the old Dura-Spark stuff. Efficient, reliable and cheap.
Arieldouglas
TN Chapter President

Number of posts : 1915
Registration date : 2011-07-03

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Reb Stew on November 2nd 2013, 4:52 am

Not to hijack this thread but I have a story. I had an early Tri Power on my 69 Goat and had did some work on it. It had a 1967 Tri Power intake on it, ram air heads with a Ram Air III style cam that Crower use to make. Mallory dizzy with 8.8 wires, Super Coil and Accell plugs made it in. I put the slicks on it for the weekend and went cruising. Saturday night I'm driving down by the river and one of those red, white and blue Javelins comes up out of the marina. It sounded healthy and these two yuppy rich fat cats were driving it. Just about the same time we open our mouths to say "sounds good" to each other. We laughed and he ask if it was a runner? I said there's only one way to find out. We rolled out Rt 8 and turn around at the train over pass. Anyone around here is thinking right now(Yeap I raced there)lol Anyway we get turned around on this country narrow two lane road. I pull up in dead mans lane and stop next to him. I clean off the slicks with only half pedal and a dump of the clutch. Rolled the Muncie back a forth a couple times and told him to take the jump. He heated the tires up and knodded his head. I heard the pipes on his car and I dumped the clutch at about 5K. I leaped out and the engine stops.??? Huh?? The guy stops his car and backs up to me. I get the Goat started and clear the carbs. It's never done that. I told him to go and he hit it again. This time it quit before the car moved 2 feet. Now I'm seeing red. I start the Goat back up and rev it up. It sounds good. What gives?? I told him one more time. I don't know what rpm I let go of the clutch but it was one of those pissed off dumps that you are going to go or blow the clutch through the bellhousing. Again that friggin' Goat quit. The guy just hammered it and rolled or should I say flew away as I sit there. I get the car started and take off. I get the car in 3rd gear and stomp the gas pedal. The engine dies.. I get it started and baby it back to town. I pull over under a street light and open the hood. I look and look and then I grab the linkage and open the carbs a bit. It still runs. I slammed the linkage back and open all 3 and then I see the arc. The coil wire had slipped off the coil and was resting against it. The wire was over the carb linkage and was close enough to run the car but when the linkage would get pulled all the way back it would drag the coil wire away from the coil and the car would stop. To this day I wanted that Javelin bad. I never seen it again after that night.

Reb Stew
National President

Number of posts : 7905
Registration date : 2012-04-08

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by junkyardjeff on November 2nd 2013, 4:55 am

A duraspark can be controlled by a MSD box or GM HEI module plus it can be made to look like a points distributor by using a points cap and rotor instead of the large cap that came around 76.

junkyardjeff
BANNED

Number of posts : 1467
Registration date : 2007-10-10

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Reb Stew on November 2nd 2013, 4:57 am

I'd go with one of those new Mallorys. I liked the one that was in the Goat. As for the HEI. They are killer dizzy's. It doesn't matter about the Ford. They are making them now to fit a Ford. I got one 2 summers ago to put in that Mustang after I could not get enough spark on the top end. It worked great and was worth the money. Problem is you can't use one even if you got one. It won't fit. It will hit the back carbs. I wish I could get one in My Bird with the 2X4 intake.

Reb Stew
National President

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Reb Stew on November 2nd 2013, 5:03 am

A little crude but it worked. 302 with HEI. I even put a GM alternator on it:D 

Reb Stew
National President

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by dieseldr on November 2nd 2013, 1:04 pm

I think the HEI will hit the front carb. But thanks to all the duraspark guys, I had forgotten all about that! I used to play with them all the time, but the world I've been in for the last 20 - some years, it just slipped my mind. I think that 428 might even have made the trip here when I bought it with the DS dizzy in it. No box or anything, since I bought just the engine. As I recall, the DS stuff would make your elbows tingle pretty bad if you happened to get a jolt. I think my mind is made up, duraspark it is, and it won't look too out of place on a 66 comet. Now, about that hood clearance issue with that looong, tall air cleaner.... I don't think NY has a hood law

As for the Delco 10 SI on your 302, use what works, and there's nothing like a killer clean engine compartment uncluttered with voltage regulators and wiring harnesses. I think the comet will use one of those, too, in the single wire configuration.
dieseldr
Hot Rod Builder

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Chris55 on November 2nd 2013, 1:51 pm

The 55 has a pertronix set up in it, seems to work well for me.
Chris55
FL Chapter President

Number of posts : 1360
Registration date : 2010-04-16

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by junkyardjeff on November 2nd 2013, 2:07 pm

The FE duraspark was only made for a couple years and hard to find now,they are in 75 and 76 trucks only so start looking now. I found a few in a local junkyard that was also a scrap yard as they were constantly bringing new stuff in but that place has been closed for a few years,I will keep watch for you and see if one turns up down here.

junkyardjeff
BANNED

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by junkyardjeff on November 2nd 2013, 2:17 pm

Looks like points but is electronic and parts available at any parts store,the HEI is a good ignition but that cap is so big and ugly and looks so out of place even on what they came on.

junkyardjeff
BANNED

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Reb Stew on November 2nd 2013, 4:00 pm

dieseldr wrote:I think the HEI will hit the front carb.  .
That's what I meant. I was still thinking Chevy stuff. Very Happy 

Reb Stew
National President

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by dieseldr on November 3rd 2013, 12:18 am

I think I have the FE duraspark dizzy already, will look tomorrow. As for the pertronix, I have those in both Mustangs, and they are reliable, but neither engine has the compression and fuel delivery potential this will have... I'm no expert, but my faith (now that I'm reminded of it) is in the duraspark, plus parts should be available at any auto parts outlet. Thanks everyone for your comments and recommendations, they are certainly welcome.

I need to get going on this, and 2 other projects, my get up and go is trying to depart lately, and I'm finding it difficult to "drive" myself to the garage for after-work activities. Need to get the fall harvest done here, finish up priority customer work, and take a day or two each week to do these things and get my interest going again. Getting older is great, being old(er) sucks.
dieseldr
Hot Rod Builder

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top