{ Scaring babies and little old ladies with open headers since 1964 }
Welcome to the Scroungers Car Club web site.
It cost nothing to register Sign up and speak up!

Sorry for the wall. This keeps our web site clean of SPAM and other unwanted parties so the true gear heads can enjoy him/her self.
You must register to see most of this forum. Register or if you have already registered just log in to see what's going on.

Wet, Wet, Wet

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Wet, Wet, Wet

Post by dieseldr on July 1st 2013, 3:09 am

It's rained here in western NY for going on ten days now, starting to get old. Being a predominantly agricultural area, if you didn't get your hay cut and put up by now, likely you won't for the next 2 weeks, looking at another 7-10 days of rain forecast, so we're gonna see a lot more of it before it's done. Kinda reminds me of 1972 when Agnes came up the coast and raised hell with everything for hundreds of miles around, I was 9 years old, don't remember the death count, but quite a few people lost their lives from here to Harrisburg PA area, and beyond. Tonight was a rather quiet overcast night, all of a sudden a bunch of black clouds came over the east horizon and dumped close to 2 inches of rain on us in 15 minutes. County's got some road work to do now. When it quits raining, sometimes the sum blazes down and starts to evaporate all that moisture and the humidity spikes terrible. Then I'm reminded exactly why I can't move south- I just cannot take the heat. Stuck here in the typhoon till further notice. Nice thing about it is, if I have flooding issues where I am, lots and lots of other people are underwater.
dieseldr
Hot Rod Builder

Number of posts : 603
Registration date : 2011-03-20

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Wet, Wet, Wet

Post by Reb Stew on July 1st 2013, 7:36 pm

We had a bout a 30 minute down pour when we were meeting yesterday. I'd say that little storm was the hardest I have seen it rain in years and years! It was crazy.

Reb Stew
National President

Number of posts : 7905
Registration date : 2012-04-08

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by FalconEddie1964 on July 1st 2013, 8:01 pm

Corporate office for this place is up in Little Falls, New York. Not too sure how close it is to you but they were closed a day or two last week because of the high water. It's right along a river (the Mohawk I believe) but the water wasn't from a swollen river, it was from rushing down the hill side. Lot's of rain in a very short time.
FalconEddie1964
Blowing fire

Number of posts : 1388
Registration date : 2008-02-06
Location : At the races, top row of the grandstand at about 1000 ft

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by dieseldr on July 1st 2013, 8:47 pm

That would be at least 3 houra from me if it is near the mohawk, the whole state has been getting ravished by rain, humidity, violent storms, gully washers, etc. Lots of places in NY don't flood from proximity to water, just that it can be so hilly here, the water comes doown the slopes dragging stuff with it, or just crosses the roads and binds things up for a while. The gig in '72 took out roads, washed buildings away, one wing of the hospital in Wellsville NY was washed into the Genesee river from the Agnes flood. But other towns had it much worse.... anyone near the susquehanna river got pounded bad, and many lost everything. I live by route 86, I remember when they were building it in 72,they were using the pans to scrape up the fill on the west bound lane and carrying it onto the east bound lane fill to keep raising the top of the "levy" (for lack of a better term- it was no longer a highway then, it was a levy) to keep the water from topping it. If the water was allowed to top it, it would have washed many neighbors away, and the neighboring village. A very tense time
dieseldr
Hot Rod Builder

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Reb Stew on July 2nd 2013, 2:36 am

Crazy stuff! It seemed like we wasn't getting any rain for a long time and then we get hit. Sounds like you guys are in a little deeper than here though.

Reb Stew
National President

Number of posts : 7905
Registration date : 2012-04-08

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by dieseldr on July 2nd 2013, 5:36 pm

Got a day of rest today, no rain but overcast/threatening. Farms need a window of 18-24 hours to spray their corn with systemic fertilizer. Weather won't cooperate- one of the many risks of agriculture.... if it was easy, everyone would be a farmer.
dieseldr
Hot Rod Builder

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by TAHOE on July 2nd 2013, 6:37 pm

Reb Stew wrote:Crazy stuff! It seemed like we wasn't getting any rain for a long time and then we get hit. Sounds like you guys are in a little deeper than here though.

Yea, my garden was drying up couple weeks ago, now the plants are drowning. Crazy.
You're right too about that storm yesterday, I went to walk out the plant to our shipping building, areas were flooded where I've never seen water, major downpour in a heartbeat.

Hope it dries out for ya DieselDr, farmers down the road from me have been having a heck of a time with hay and had to replant already once this year. Hope it gets better, hay is expensive as it is, I can't afford to pay much more for it if they don't get more cuttings in.

TAHOE
Chief mechanic

Number of posts : 335
Registration date : 2013-03-20

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Brownie on July 2nd 2013, 7:05 pm

Yep! We are getting a little rain as well! For the last 3 days.... Just had over 10'' in Englewood just this morning. This weather is only good if you have web feet.....and I don't !  Evil or Very Mad
Brownie
Scrounger

Number of posts : 941
Registration date : 2011-11-30

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by dieseldr on July 3rd 2013, 12:24 am

Or at least a feather suit!
dieseldr
Hot Rod Builder

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by dieseldr on July 6th 2013, 2:00 pm

Finished out the week of the 4th with rain every day. Looking forward to the long range forecast, fat chance of any dust forming for at least another week, as 8 more days of rain are expected. Not all day rain, mind you, but it commonly amounts to a morning shower, followed by overcast and occasional sun that boils the moisture up and forms more clouds with a 15 to 30 minute deluge in the afternoon, followed by an overnight light shower lasting an hour or so. Same ol' same ol'.
dieseldr
Hot Rod Builder

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady rebel on July 7th 2013, 5:46 pm

The rain has been a lot better than the intense heat but it's too much now.
Lady rebel
Scroungers Treasurer/Secretary

Number of posts : 2215
Registration date : 2007-10-09

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Marty042 on July 8th 2013, 12:09 am

This is Pioneer Park not more than 10 or 15 minutes from most us Nky guys.
Marty042
Scrounger

Number of posts : 741
Registration date : 2010-03-29

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by dieseldr on July 8th 2013, 3:44 am

Thats ugly. Last weekend was supposed to be the niagara swap meet in Lockport NY. A very well known, well attended event. About an hour before the gates were to open, a downpour sent 2 feet of water down the main drag in Lockport, closing all businesses, initiating a travel ban, and genuinely creating havoc throughout the area. 2 point something million in damages in the city alone.

We have been blessed with dodging bullets for the last 36 hours- we were supposed to be hit with random cells of rain activity, but it has almost all gone around us. We have had a brief shower for 5-10 minutes the last 2 mornings, just enough to settle the dust. But the heat and humidity have been oppressive. Finally broke down and bought a dehumidifier for the garage- water oozing up thru the floor, running out the door like a river just from sweating from the dew points. What a difference- now I feel like going to the garage again. Maybe now I can make some progress on that Mustang in there. Problem is, now county fairs start next week, and the mrs is big in volunteering there for the various youth groups, so guess who else gets volunteered? Oh well, at least somebody is supportive of what these kids are doing, and it's keeping them off the streets- good investment.
dieseldr
Hot Rod Builder

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by TAHOE on July 8th 2013, 6:34 pm

Hope you get dried out.
I knew I had a gutter problem, it either pulled away or had some type of clog. What I didn't know was that it ended up being a ball stuck in downspot, overflowed into the basement window into the back room we never use. Now I know why basement smelled so musty the last few weeks. Got it dried out some and carpet cut up and out, smell already going away.
We have county fair in 12 weeks. my kids have rabbits, chickens, and goats super busy week for us!

TAHOE
Chief mechanic

Number of posts : 335
Registration date : 2013-03-20

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by extenzegrl on July 8th 2013, 10:06 pm

I drove past Pioneer Park this morning,, it is a mess clean up crews have their work cut out for them.
At 8 :30 am I think I counted 4 burn piles.
extenzegrl
National Vice President

Number of posts : 623
Registration date : 2010-09-10

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum: