{ Scaring babies and little old ladies with open headers since 1964 }
Welcome to the Scroungers Car Club web site.
It cost nothing to register Sign up and speak up!

Sorry for the wall. This keeps our web site clean of SPAM and other unwanted parties so the true gear heads can enjoy him/her self.
You must register to see most of this forum. Register or if you have already registered just log in to see what's going on.

decisions, decisions

View previous topic View next topic Go down

decisions, decisions

Post by dieseldr on March 2nd 2013, 3:36 am

This will get a little lengthy so hang in there.
Having quite a personal struggle with something unrelated to the car hobby. I've been employed in the heavy equipment repair industry for over 30 years. These last few years, this year especially, has been a wake up call to stop working outside in inclement weather, doing crazy repairs on stuff that should be dragged somewhere at least a little more convenient, and a lot warmer and drier. Spending time off because of a respiratory infection from being in damn cold conditions, besides being asthmatic, kinda kicked my a-- two weeks ago. The dilemma has now arisen from searching online for something that will keep me active in the heavy industries, still working with my hands, but also working as much, or more, with my head as my hands. What has come up is an opportunity with a heavy hitter in the heavy equipment industry who is looking for a technical writer. I am making an assumption with this job title, that the job would be involved with writing assembly, maintenance, and repair manuals for their machines- which I think I would enjoy. I have noticed the last 10 or so years I have worked, that the repair manuals are so poorly written, you might as well burn them. I think I could make a difference. The problem I am up against is that I live almost 5 hrs from where the job is. The real estate market is soft within the smaller towns around, anything semi rural or rural is horribly expensive, so living in town for the short term is the way in, or finding something to rent short term. I think I would be challenged to live within a village, so I would rather be out of town. But my wife needs to finish out 5 more years where she is here at home to get 30 years of service. This will get her 60% of her final salary for retirement...... it sounds like a lot, but when her final salary will be around $20,000, that adds up to $12,000 annual for retirement. Not big bucks, but nothing to sneeze at, and definitely nothing to spite when considering the future, so she has to stay here for 5 years. So I am considering renting for 5 years, trying to do the weekend commute, and not getting burned out. I really think I am making a pretty long stretch to make this happen on these terms. It is near the Carlisle PA area, so it is exciting for me to think I would be near that venue for the auto hobby, and it also would be close for my wife's quilting hobby to be down here when she retires, so that she can cruise the Lancaster area and do what she likes. Definitely a decision that could make or break us financially as well. Sorry for being so windy about this, but needed to vent off some steam about it to people who have no idea who I am, and can provide a side I can't see. It's tough to discuss it with your family, since they have a predetermined idea what you might be capable of. This would kinda be my last hurrah for my career, and hopefully it would be my last job, and I would retire from it. But who has a crystal ball anymore? Companies terminate "old" people in their end of career days to find young people with no experience who will work for peanuts, so maybe I have a false sense of what this might end up becoming. Well, thanks for the venting space, and let's hear the comments. By the way, their formal phone interview is Monday the 4th @ 9:00 AM.
dieseldr
Hot Rod Builder

Number of posts : 603
Registration date : 2011-03-20

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: decisions, decisions

Post by dieseldr on March 2nd 2013, 3:57 am

Not expecting answers, just some feedback and some ideas from someone who may have done the long distance thing.
dieseldr
Hot Rod Builder

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Reb Stew on March 2nd 2013, 3:58 am

It's scary to even think of it. My father gave his all for a company and at the end when he should have had it good he was forced into an early retirement and the boss's son got his job. I don't trust big companies. There is no loyalties anymore.

Another thing is can you be away from the family and vise versa. Some families can't take that. Mine couldn't. Everyone is different so who know.

It sounds like something you really want to do. You have to like what you do. I feel you are done with what you are HAVING to do now.

Sometimes you have to give a little now to get what you want in the end. I'm use to that. But 5 years is a long time. We never know what God has in store for us. We may live another 50 years or we might be gone within a matter of days.

I know I didn't help you any. Just speaking out loud. Good luck with whatever you end up doing.

Reb Stew
National President

Number of posts : 7905
Registration date : 2012-04-08

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nanook on March 2nd 2013, 5:12 am

The commute will be far more trying all around than you think. I'd stick with looking for something closer. God will open doors (r keep them shut) for your best interests. Pray about it and think long and hard before making a choice.

Sincerely,

Lee
Nanook
Scrounger

Number of posts : 1088
Registration date : 2010-06-28

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Arieldouglas on March 2nd 2013, 5:40 am

It wouldn't be for me. The commute that is. Like Steve says families are different. My brother lives in Jamestown but stays in Nashville all week to work (3 hour drive). He's been doing it over ten years and seems prepared to keep doing it. He has a campground he's paying for and that is to be his retirement. Anyway what I'm trying to say if it is right and what you REALLY want it will work out. Seems like a big decision. Think hard and ask your advice from a higher power than this bunch. Smile
Arieldouglas
TN Chapter President

Number of posts : 1915
Registration date : 2011-07-03

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Reb Stew on March 2nd 2013, 5:56 am

Arieldouglas wrote: ask your advice from a higher power than this bunch. Smile
cheers

Reb Stew
National President

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by dieseldr on March 2nd 2013, 10:30 pm

All your comments are spot on about family values and not chasing the horizon for the almighty dollar. I was born with nothing, and nobody is standing in line to take my nothing away. I know the drive will be trying, and with costs being what they are now, a soul could go broke fast, and not just financially broke either. I do thank you for your comments, for they keep a mind aware that even though you don't think your area has much to offer, what you got is yours and will continue to be if you mind your ways. Thanks and god bless.
dieseldr
Hot Rod Builder

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Reb Stew on March 2nd 2013, 11:45 pm

dieseldr wrote: I do thank you for your comments, for they keep a mind aware that even though you don't think your area has much to offer, what you got is yours and will continue to be if you mind your ways. Thanks and god bless.
Very well said. cheers

Reb Stew
National President

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Reb Stew on March 3rd 2013, 1:28 am

dieseldr wrote:All your comments are spot on about family values and not chasing the horizon for the almighty dollar. I was born with nothing, and nobody is standing in line to take my nothing away.

Sometimes money runs our life. It took years for me to figure out not to let it run mine. I have to say I'm better off now than before. You have to have some money to get by but if you watch what you do you can have a wonderful life either way. From what I have seen you post on here you know this to be true already. I know this is off the subject but this young man's voice and his dad's writing skills have really touched me. Just thought I'd share it. This kid is from Scotland and only Christian/Bluegrass style music. I was so moved I ordered the CD from Scotland.

This song has a lot of personal meaning to me.

Reb Stew
National President

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by dieseldr on March 9th 2013, 2:36 am

Had the prelim phone interview. It went well, but I did tell them, given my location, I felt OK making the commute for a year or so, but was positive I couldn't do it for 5 years without my attitude suffering, and went on to explain my wife's situation and that it was out of the question to give that up. I thanked them, and they said they would be in touch after 2 weeks when their interview process was over. I got the impression I was at the front of the pack for interviews, which I believe means that I was one of the preferred individuals. Companies usually interview their first choice first.
dieseldr
Hot Rod Builder

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nanook on March 9th 2013, 4:32 pm

Good call and best thing to be straight-up with them. Any employer appreciates that and sees it as a good quality.

Later,

Lee
Nanook
Scrounger

Number of posts : 1088
Registration date : 2010-06-28

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down