{ Scaring babies and little old ladies with open headers since 1964 }
Welcome to the Scroungers Car Club web site.
It cost nothing to register Sign up and speak up!

Sorry for the wall. This keeps our web site clean of SPAM and other unwanted parties so the true gear heads can enjoy him/her self.
You must register to see most of this forum. Register or if you have already registered just log in to see what's going on.

Old hot rod in the woods

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Old hot rod in the woods

Post by RebStew on December 18th 2007, 8:44 pm

Stan PM'ed me today and asked where did you get your avatar? I would love to hear the story behind that car. I figured I'd post it up here since the story was lost to the old forum.
A club member, Dennis Media(Da Injun) was telling us about and old hot rod that some friends found in the woods years and years ago. he said he would love to get his hands on it but he wasn't for sure if it was still there. after talking him into it we loaded 5 guys in my 61 Bel Air and headed out to find it. I can't tell you where it's at because there is still a chance that Dennis may get it. I will tell you that it is close and that its one time easy hiding spot is on the verge of being opened up because of track housing and strip malls. it is the only piece of property that is left untouched but will soon be sold to a contractor to make homes or something else , looks like.
we parked the car in a new sub division and walked across the road to a big corn field. I'm not one for walking on someone property but from what I heard it may be worth dodging a shotgun blast. we walked across about a 2 acre open field and into a wooded thicket. we made it around the wood through a few paths and around what use to be an old barn and farm house and there she sit.

it was covered with brush, rusty and UNTOUCHED since it was parked there. it is a 30??? Chevy. it looks to be from late 50's to the mid 60 build. body is unchopped but has a 4" channel over the frame. after market gauges, motorcycle fenders, open hood, and what I think was a Y block.

the mud and brush has it stuck. you would need a chain saw and a few come a longs to get it out. you would have to take your time to keep from ripping the car in half. the car is a basket case and wouldn't be a car for someone that didn't know what they where doing. I would love to have this thing. I'd fix it just because it's a true hot rod from back in the day. the though of taking an axe to what's left of the floors and carring the body out crossed my mind.
I just hope Dennis can get a hold on this thing before it's too late.

Wanted: 1950 Buick bumper and grille.
RebStew
Scrounger's Pitbull On Nitrous

Number of posts : 12420
Registration date : 2007-10-09

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Old hot rod in the woods

Post by JRiggs on December 18th 2007, 8:56 pm

thing sure was a beauty.... that poor ole car and the stang next to it.... man i also hope he gets a hold of it. the way every spot is turning into housing this secret spot sure will be next....
JRiggs
Scrounger

Number of posts : 3505

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by fuel10922 on December 18th 2007, 9:45 pm

That is awesome! Someone needs to follow up and get it before the land is cleared by a bulldozer or something. Here today gone tomorrow. Old tin is worth saving.
fuel10922
Master mechanic

Number of posts : 433
Registration date : 2007-12-07

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by RebStew on December 18th 2007, 10:54 pm

Dennis Media. where are you??? let me know if you want to go track that guy down who owns the property. I will help. If you don't want to mess with it, give me the permission and I will try to get it. we need to try to get it before it's gone

Wanted: 1950 Buick bumper and grille.
RebStew
Scrounger's Pitbull On Nitrous

Number of posts : 12420

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Reb Stew on September 18th 2012, 4:37 am

Very old post but just ran across it again. We should have cut the body off this one and carried it out of the woods. We screwed up!

Reb Stew
National President

Number of posts : 7905
Registration date : 2012-04-08

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by JRiggs on September 18th 2012, 4:47 am

BIG TIME
JRiggs
Scrounger

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by da injun on September 19th 2012, 4:17 am

I did what I could. I got into contact with the guy that farmed the land....not the actual owners. He was very friendly after initially being apprehensive (which was understandable) on inquiring about the car. But, he NEVER answered the door again, and did not respond to the note I left on the door once I noticed them clearing it out.

In fact I have noticed that guys stuff being cleared away somewhat...he does have older rides there....and Steve, he did have an early 50's Chevy truck there !! As well as other old rusted cars, old tractors, and all kinds of old junk. But who sometimes guys like that are over-protective of their stuff. Which I can understand in this day and age with piece of shit scrappers on the loose.
da injun
Mechanic

Number of posts : 257
Registration date : 2007-10-10

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Reb Stew on September 19th 2012, 5:31 am

I'm on the look for another 50's truck project. afro

Reb Stew
National President

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by JRiggs on September 19th 2012, 6:13 am

i got a number for you to call stewart. someone at the union show over the weekend was trying to sell a 47 international project , rolling body and had a s10 frame to go with it. if interested i dont have any pics but he showed me a few at that show.... be anice one
JRiggs
Scrounger

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Reb Stew on December 1st 2014, 7:07 pm

Anyone have anymore pictures of this car?

Reb Stew
National President

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by 40standard on December 18th 2014, 4:20 am

any update on this old post?

40standard
Grease monkey

Number of posts : 235
Registration date : 2007-12-03

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Reb Stew on December 18th 2014, 4:25 pm

There are a couple post that are way back. Da Ingun tried over and over to contact whoever owned it. No luck. They only house left on the road wouldn't help. I think they were scrapping all the old cars that where there. We took a ride over there and everything was gone. Only thing that was left was pieces of cars from where the bulldozer run them over. We looked around trying to see if we could find parts of the hot rod but I never seen anything. I'm hoping someone pulled it out. Do I think they did? NO. I think they scrapped what they could get in their truck and let the construction team doze everything else.

Reb Stew
National President

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Reb Stew on December 18th 2014, 4:27 pm

Reb Stew
National President

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Reb Stew on December 18th 2014, 4:33 pm

I'm not a thief but whoever owned this property sold it to a contractor to build condos. He took what he wanted and left everything else. The guy across the way was just going in there to get scrap to sell. Trying to get this car was on going thing. Like a year. Never could get a hold of the right people. If I had to do it over again I would have chopped the floor out of the car and had some of the guys to carry it out. At least it would have been saved.

Reb Stew
National President

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nanook on December 19th 2014, 4:07 pm

I'm with you, Steve. I would have rather seen it saved. It's a tough spot when a car has been abandoned on how to go about getting it. I lost a legit '69 Cale Yarborough Cyclone Spoiler because it was sitting on airport property and I did not think it worth the risk to get caught trying to load it up. The folks had been bought out and the house dozed down. I knew about the cars from years prior. The demotion crew wrecked one but the other was still in the barn. I've got pics and I kept the keys and the Special Performance Vehicle tag from the one I could get to.

Like you I hope this one was saved.

Later,

Lee
Nanook
Scrounger

Number of posts : 1088
Registration date : 2010-06-28

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content