{ Scaring babies and little old ladies with open headers since 1964 }
Welcome to the Scroungers Car Club web site.
It cost nothing to register Sign up and speak up!

Sorry for the wall. This keeps our web site clean of SPAM and other unwanted parties so the true gear heads can enjoy him/her self.
You must register to see most of this forum. Register or if you have already registered just log in to see what's going on.

Influences

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Influences

Post by fuel10922 on December 14th 2007, 8:25 pm

We all have a point were we became car guys. For me it was seeing American Graffiti for the first time and a friends dads Model A. I was ruined!!! Norm still has his Model A. He has owned it since 1958.... WOW
fuel10922
Master mechanic

Number of posts : 433
Registration date : 2007-12-07

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Influences

Post by fuel10922 on December 14th 2007, 8:26 pm

Here is the car today!
fuel10922
Master mechanic

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by JRiggs on December 14th 2007, 8:38 pm

The two people that influenced me.
top picture is of my dad standing in front of grandpas impala. this picture was taken on elm street in newport, ky. the bottom picture is my grandpa himself. he was a mechanic all his life. one hell of one is what everyone tells me. the alcohol got the best of him though. passed on in 1985... man if he was only around....

JRiggs
Scrounger

Number of posts : 3505
Registration date : 2007-10-09

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by John B on December 14th 2007, 9:08 pm

fuel10922 wrote:Here is the car today!

I've seen that car around alot. I always have to stop and check it out. I love that thing.
John B
1000 post club

Number of posts : 1028

View user profile http://www.kustomtrophy.com

Back to top Go down

Post by fuel10922 on December 14th 2007, 9:25 pm

John B wrote:
fuel10922 wrote:Here is the car today!

I've seen that car around alot. I always have to stop and check it out. I love that thing.
I do to!! It is ruff around the edges, but it is the real deal. No 1-800 hot rod.
fuel10922
Master mechanic

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by LRS30 on December 14th 2007, 10:16 pm

Probably My dad, growing up we always had Corvette's to the point we had to take two Vette's to church cause we all could'nt fit in one. Also growing up across the street from Larry Krammer's house did'nt help much..There for a while it was a contest between my dad and my uncle to see who could own the most Vette's, really not sure who won, I know dad ended up having somewhere in the 50's (thats where I get the addiction for sure)...
LRS30
Forum Junky

Number of posts : 1823

View user profile http://www.myspace.com/ryanbfg

Back to top Go down

Post by John B on December 14th 2007, 10:22 pm

LRS30 wrote:Probably My dad, growing up we always had Corvette's to the point we had to take two Vette's to church cause we all could'nt fit in one. Also growing up across the street from Larry Krammer's house did'nt help much..There for a while it was a contest between my dad and my uncle to see who could own the most Vette's, really not sure who won, I know dad ended up having somewhere in the 50's (thats where I get the addiction for sure)...

You never told me that you knew the Krammer

I owned a 77 Chevy that was worked on in his shop in the 80s, one of the boys in the club has a 50 Ford F-1 that was built in Larry's shop to. In fact this kid was going and spending a few weeks a year with him. Till he got older and found out about girls.
John B
1000 post club

Number of posts : 1028

View user profile http://www.kustomtrophy.com

Back to top Go down

Post by LRS30 on December 14th 2007, 10:31 pm

Yhea he built some far out stuff in the 70's
I remember my dad hiding Allscraft Front Wheels for a T bucket he was building so his wife did'nt find out about them..
Then he built this Car called the Fat Rat Looked like a Devlin. Was Purple with Green Flames and Angle Hair interior and a Black and white tv and a Rotary dial phone in it. Man the drugs in the 70's must have been some good stuff...
LRS30
Forum Junky

Number of posts : 1823

View user profile http://www.myspace.com/ryanbfg

Back to top Go down

Post by RebStew on March 27th 2012, 5:53 am

Thought I'd pull this old post out. I guess what influenced me and gave me the bug was a child hood friends dad. In 1978 I was 8 years old. Me and my friend was walking home and his dad picked us up in a brand new 1978 Trans Am. He worked as a salesman at a dealership. He only drove me one block but man I was hooked. My dad drove Cadi's. This was no Cadi. The silver turned dash sparkled in my eyes as he pulled up in front of my house. I got out and my mom and dad was in the front yard doing yard work. Before I could walk up my steps the pipes opened up and with a loud squeal the back tire poured the smoke off of them all the way up the street leaving a cloud of smoke. About a month later I got to see Smokey and the Bandit. I was done. I have owned close to 100 F bodies in my life and wouldn't mind having a few more. I sure wish I had some I let go. My old 'Bird I have had forever has been with me 24 years this month. I even drove it to the City Meeting tonight which is always fun to do with the pipes shaking the windows in the city building when I pull into the lot.

Wanted: 1950 Buick bumper and grille.
RebStew
Scrounger's Pitbull On Nitrous

Number of posts : 12420

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Truxter Fordly on March 27th 2012, 9:38 pm

When I was about seven years old my uncle Ken Sharp put my little boney a$$ in the front seat of his '65 Chevelle 327 four speed and took me for a ride. He ran it hard up through the gears and pinned me back in the seat like no roller coaster could ever do. I was already fascinated with cars but after that taste I knew I wanted a fast one and it had to have a clutch! He's about 67 years old now and still lives to race. He's moved on to automatics but I still need a stick shift! Here's a picture of his SS/GT M Automatic Cadillac. It powered by a 425 Caddy motor and capable of high 10's in the quarter. He has held the NHRA record for his class a couple of times in the last few years but doesn't right now.
I am proud that he is my uncle and my friend!
Truxter Fordly
OH Chapter President

Number of posts : 424
Registration date : 2009-10-21

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by RebStew on March 27th 2012, 11:41 pm

cheers

RebStew

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Chris55 on March 28th 2012, 12:11 am

My older brother was probably my biggest influences, he always had some type of build going on. He had two main cars, his DD was a Sea Foam green 65 Impala with a 283/PG. It sat low on cut springs and blocks, with a nice rubber rake from the Kelly Spingfields (blackwalls out of course) on Chevy ralleys. The part I remember most about that car was the way it idled sounded like an old Chris Craft boat. His toy was a 69 Nova silver/gray with black ralley stripes, originally a 350/M22 but got built into a 396/M22. He painted the block and heads white, and topped it all with Moroso gold dress up goodies. With its Centerline wheels and BFGs the look was killer.

Also I'd have to say, a certain piss yellow deuce coupe, thats suppose to be fast.
Chris55
FL Chapter President

Number of posts : 1360
Registration date : 2010-04-16

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by RebStew on March 28th 2012, 12:22 am

Chris55 wrote:
Also I'd have to say, a certain piss yellow deuce coupe, thats suppose to be fast.
That thing was so ugly it had to sneak up on the pump to just put air in it's tires. Very Happy

RebStew

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Arieldouglas on March 28th 2012, 3:48 am

When I was 9, my mom married my first stepdad (1 of 3, all good guys). She was 27 and he was 18 so he was more like my big brother. I had been a fetcher and a gofor for my dad and then Richard. He had a '58 Olds Rocket, a 63 Fairlane & a '57 Fairlane when they got married. He was COOL! cheers He made spare money by buying cars out of the junkyard, fixing them up and selling them. When I was 10 he was working overtime in Birmingham but brought home this '58 Bel Air with burnt valves. It was a really nice car. Over breakfast he told me to pull the heads off so he could take them to the machine shop. I wasn't about to question him so when he left I went out and started. As I took it apart I put everything just so in order so he could put it all back together. When I got to the head bolts I was stumped. Didn't have enough stuff in my britches to break them loose. Rolling Eyes When he got home he asked if I had it done, I told him all but the heads, that I couldn't break them loose. He just looked disgusted and told me "Can't never could do nuthin'. Tomorrow pull the heads." I wasn't about to earn that look again. So I found a piece of pipe about 4 feet long and a crowbar and got them loose. I had a hard enough time with the intake so I didn't try to get the heads out of the car. Was afraid I would screw up a fender or the grill. He was good with that. When he got the heads back I was all ready to help put it back together. All he did was set the heads in place and told me to put the rest back together. At least he stayed this time to guide me if I started to go wrong. I was getting pretty cocky there at the end so he just let me stick the dizzy in and try to start it. I did have the wires right but had no idea how to time it. After he let me crank it over and almost set it on fire he showed me how to time it.
I can't tell you how proud I was when that ole Chevy fired up.

I learned several lessons that week that I've carried every since.

Boy, that was longer than I expected
Arieldouglas
TN Chapter President

Number of posts : 1915
Registration date : 2011-07-03

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top