{ Scaring babies and little old ladies with open headers since 1964 }
Welcome to the Scroungers Car Club web site.
It cost nothing to register Sign up and speak up!

Sorry for the wall. This keeps our web site clean of SPAM and other unwanted parties so the true gear heads can enjoy him/her self.
You must register to see most of this forum. Register or if you have already registered just log in to see what's going on.

1989 camaro iroc/rs

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: 1989 camaro iroc/rs

Post by DEMONSPEED on March 4th 2010, 7:46 am

I've had my motor back for a while. Just got my pistons back from Monarch's. Put the cam and crank and everything else just to find out Monarch's didnt bore my motor like I paid for. I went to put the piston in and it went down half an inch and got stuck. Pulled it back out and measured all the cylinders, they all say 4.000 with my caliper. Should be reading 4.020 like I paid for! They will be getting a call... Not a good car week....
DEMONSPEED
Scrounger

Number of posts : 420
Registration date : 2009-05-30

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DEMONSPEED on July 24th 2010, 3:26 am

I have finally made up my insane mind on eveything. Everythings worked out. I've had six of the Speed Pro hyperuetectic pistons in for weeks now. I went .020 over to keep the cylinder walls as strong as I could.

4.11 is to numerically high of a gear so it's down to 3.42's or 3.73's. Most likely 3.73.

I've decided to go with a 700r4 for the overdrive and numerous other reasons. I'm looking for a 87-93 700r4 out of a Third Gen if anyone has one. It has to be 87-93 though. The real name for them is a 4l60. In 93' they came out with a new transmission in trucks called the 4l60E.

3000 stall converter is just about right for what I'm wanting. 3.06 first gear and a 3.42/3.73 will compliment it nicely.

72 8.5 Cutlass rear end with a Richmond full spool is what I'm going for. Not good for the street, at all, but now that I'm keeping the Mustang this one is my first DRAG CAR. Not my first car.

I think I'm going to build a roll cage for it. Most likely a ten point and then tie it into the subframe connectors I'm building.

Three inch dual exhaust with Hedmann elite series Hedders. I will be attempting to build all of that by myself and the wide x-pipe with cutouts also.

Lakewood 90/10 drag struts up front along with Lakewood 50/50 drag shocks in the back. Camaro v6 coil springs in the back with Moroso Trick front coil springs up front. That will give me near optimum squat and weight transfer.

More to come.
DEMONSPEED
Scrounger

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DEMONSPEED on July 24th 2010, 3:54 am

Polycarbonate windows will take a lot of weight down and that's what I'm going for. Removing twenty pounds of weight is the equivalent of ten extra horsepower. I've dropped hundreds and I'm still at it.

My intake manifold is a freshly blasted Holley Street Dominator and my carburetor is a Holley 4160 vaccum secondary 750. I will be rebuilding it and modifying it. A spacer will most likely be used also.

The motor should have about 375-450 horsepower depending on if I ported the heads correctly.

The heads are 305 H.O. heads that I have done a LOT of work to. I enlarged the intake runners, did some work to the long side radius, cut down the valve guide boss a little bit, and port matched them. I created a step along the exhaust port which is supposed to help flow a considerable amount. I de-shrouded the valves so now the combustion chambers are around 61-62 cc's instead of 58. Also I found out something that will help flow a little bit, the intake valves are 1.94! They look like stock valves so I'm confused. 4416 casting heads.

Compression ratio is way too high for the street so I'm going to try to retard the timing to stay away from detonation. With 58 cc chambers and a .016 head gasket the compression is 11:2:1. If that was the case, around 60 or more of the horsepower I have built will all be from raising the C.R. from 8:1. Most of that will be taken away from retarding the timing that much though.

More to come.
DEMONSPEED
Scrounger

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DEMONSPEED on April 11th 2011, 7:16 am

I bought my welder last week. Hobart Handler 210. Welds 24 gauge to 3/8 in. in a single pass. I got it from Tractor Supply and the guy working there gave me a 5% discount and accidentally threw in stuff he wasn't supposed to. He threw in a real nice padded set of gloves made with kevlar, MIG pliers, a full welder cover, and some other things.

I just made an extension cord for it so, I am going to power it with the dryer receptacle. The dryer is using 10-3 wire and a 30 amp breaker so that will work.

The extension cord is 10-3 SJO cord cord I bought from Home Depot. I went to several places looking for a receptacle and plug for the 220 and couldn't find any. Then I went to a different Tractor Supply and they had Hobart made ones, really expensive but, they were all I could find.

DEMONSPEED
Scrounger

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DEMONSPEED on April 11th 2011, 7:24 am

I worked on my carburetor some today also. I bent the secondary metering body plate pretty bad trying to get it off the gaskets. I took an old body hammer and smoothed it back even, slowly.

DEMONSPEED
Scrounger

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DEMONSPEED on April 11th 2011, 7:39 am

I started on tearing the engine back down today. I have been in a mess since last year about the main bolts. I had them torqued down several times and who knows how many times before I got the engine and I really did not want to take the chance of them failing. So, I bought aftermarket bolts but it turns out those are a lot longer and requires the main threads to be bottom tapped. It took a pretty good amount of time to even find a bottoming tap for the threads. I got one off of Snapon.com for less than $10.00 shipped.
DEMONSPEED
Scrounger

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by falconwagon62 on April 11th 2011, 4:16 pm

Rocket in Cincinnati has 90% of all sizes in stock 513-679-2626 they are cutting tool guys and machine shop supplies they are at the corner of Paddock and Seymour Ave.
falconwagon62
Scrounger

Number of posts : 2607
Registration date : 2008-06-08

View user profile http://www.ovcfca.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top